Immigration Advice Service
+353 061 518 025 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

Find our Ireland Office


We are highly qualified, professional immigration firm in the Republic of Ireland

The Immigration Advice Service is a team that comprises highly experienced immigration consultants that care about your future.

Call us on (+353) 061 518 025 for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    We are the Immigration Advice Service

    If you need to hire the services of an immigration consultant in the Republic of Ireland, the Immigration Advice Service is here to help.

    The IAS is an immigration firm that comprises consultants and law experts with offices in Ireland and throughout the United Kingdom. With a wealth of experience in all areas of Irish immigration law, we are proud of our reputation as one of the leading immigration firms in the whole of Ireland and the UK.

    The IAS can provide tailored, expert guidance and advice on any immigration issue you might be facing, regardless of its complexity. We can help with all forms of Irish immigration applications, including for employment, studying and citizenship, as well as for family members of an Irish resident.

    By hiring one of our highly skilled Irish immigration consultants, you can rest assured that you will be dealing with an eminent immigration firm. Our immigration consultants in Ireland are highly qualified in all areas of immigration law, just like an immigration lawyer. We will work with you to thoroughly assess your situation, and help you to decide the most appropriate course of action to take to achieve your desired result.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Did you know our immigration advice sessions are available "in person" at our offices, or via the phone. LEARN MORE

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      What do IAS immigration experts in Ireland do?

      Our professional and friendly team in Ireland can provide support on any Irish immigration services, whether you are planning to visit for a short period of time, or hope to resettle and build your life in our beautiful country.

      We have a proven track record of delivering the results our clients are looking for owing to our expertise in offering support, advice, and providing exceptional service.

      The IAS is highly experienced in completing visa applications, from relatively simple ‘Short Stay C’ visas to complex Join Family Member Visa applications. We advise you on each step in the process, including the immigration registration process. We can also provide support to those who have spent several years in Ireland and have taken the decision to apply for Irish citizenship or dual citizenship.

      As well as our standard immigration services, the IAS also offer full support for asylum seekers and for those who might be facing deportation from Ireland.

      Our immigration consultants in Dublin are all trained to the highest of standards and have extensive knowledge of Irish immigration law in all its forms. They also engage in continuous professional development, ensuring that their legal immigration knowledge is fully up to date. You will work with our consultants first and if a lawyer is necessary, we will connect you with one.

      The IAS will deal with your case with care, diligence and the utmost professionalism. We believe that by working with a dedicated immigration personnel, you will receive the highest quality service in the whole of Ireland.

      If you cannot meet us in our office in Limerick, this is no barrier to reaching us. You can discuss your case with us remotely, either on the phone, or via Skype. Regardless of where you are located, the IAS is here to help. Simply put, we will work around what is most convenient for you.

      We care about each of our clients, and your dedicated immigration consultant will work tirelessly on your behalf.

      How can my IAS immigration lawyer help me with my Irish visa application?

      One of our highly skilled immigration lawyers will dedicate themselves to your case, tailoring their approach to your needs. We will ensure that you are paired with a lawyer who has experience within the specific area of law your case relates to.

      Once an immigration lawyer has been assigned to your case, they will work with you to assess your situation. They will explore what your needs are, what you want to achieve and the steps which can be taken to achieve your desired result.

      The IAS provides a range of services for anyone who is looking for help with their immigration issue.

      You will receive expert immigration law advice, and your lawyer will discuss the requirements which you need to fulfil in order to qualify for your visa, including all the required documents which need to be included in the application.

      Whether you need support with your Start Up Entrepreneur Programme application, assistance with family reunifications, or other immigration matters, IAS is the firm for you.

      They will work with you to formulate your application to the highest of standards, before submitting it to the Department of Justice and Equality. Through employing our services, you will maximise your chances of achieving a successful result.

      Your immigration lawyer in Dublin will:

      • Review your case and assess your eligibility
      • Investigate the requirements you need to meet to qualify for your visa
      • Help you organise an extensive portfolio of documentary evidence for your case

      They will also ensure that the application adheres to the administrative standards set out by the Irish government.

      Once the application has been fully prepared and completed, your immigration lawyer will submit the application to the Department of Justice and Equality. They will liaise with government officials throughout the process until a decision has been reached.

      Our immigration experts works on your behalf. Instruct us to complete and submit your application to the Department of Justice & Equality Learn more

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Immigration in the Republic of Ireland

        Before you make your journey to Ireland, it is very important to establish whether you need a visa.

        Those from non-visas required countries, including EU/EEA residents and citizens of Switzerland, will not need a visa to enter Ireland. However, those from outside of these areas will typically need some form of visa, even if they are only visiting Ireland as a tourist.

        EU/EEA residents and citizens of Switzerland are free to work in Ireland without any restrictions, as guaranteed by the ‘four freedoms’. Whilst a resident of one of these countries can stay in Ireland free of restrictions for up to 90 days, they will need to be engaged in economic activity or enrolled as a student or vocational trainee if they wish to stay for longer.

        Residents from countries outside of these areas will need to submit a visa application when they enter Ireland, whether for a short period of time or with the intention of remaining in Ireland for longer.

        A non-EEA national who wishes to reside in Ireland must fulfil certain requirements, which differ depending on the route they take towards legal Irish residency.

        One of the most common routes is through the join family member visa. This visa enables non-EEA family members/partners to join their family member/partner in Ireland.

        Spouses/civil partners, de facto partners, adult dependents, child dependents and dependents of Critical Skills Employment Permit Holders are all eligible to apply to reside in Ireland via this route.

        What are the Irish immigration visas?

        The different visas in Ireland are generally split into two categories: Category ‘C’ and Category ‘D’. Category ‘C’ visas are short-stay visas, which include:

        Category D visas are for those who want to remain in Ireland for extended periods of time. Visas under this category include:

        • Study visa
        • Join a family member visa
        • Employment visa
        • Employment (researcher) visa
        • Employment (Van der Elst) visa
        • Minister of Religion visa
        • Volunteer visa

        Other types of Irish visas are:

        • Re-entry visas. A re-entry visa is for children under the age of 16 who do not hold an Irish Residence Permit and are returning to Ireland
        • Transit visas. For travel through an Irish airport towards another destination
        • Multi-entry visas. For those who need to travel to Ireland on short visits, such as for business. It is an entry visa for those who come to Ireland often.

        What are the Irish immigration stamps?

        Citizens of non-visa required countries will not have their passport stamped when they enter into Ireland. However, if you are a citizen of a country which is not a part of these areas, your passport will be stamped by a border official at the Irish border.

        The stamp in your passport will relate to the visa/immigration status which you have been granted with. Ultimately, the key point of reference for immigration status in Ireland is the stamp in your passport.

        The different immigration stamps indicate the conditions you must live under in Ireland including what you are permitted to do and not do, and how long you are able to legally reside in Ireland.

        Stamp 0

        Stamp 0 is for those who have been granted permission to stay in Ireland for a limited period of time.

        One of the main conditions is that you must be able to support yourself financially, and not be a financial burden on the state. Alternatively, your sponsor needs to be able to support you financially.

        You will receive a Stamp 0 in your passport under the following circumstances:

        • As an elderly dependant relative of a non-EEA/EU citizen or citizen of Switzerland
        • As a visiting academic
        • As a person of independent financial means, who has a financial threshold of 50,000 euros per annum. This includes those who wish to retire in Ireland
        • To extend a short-term visa in the country on humanitarian grounds
        • To work for an overseas company in Ireland for a short, specific period of time

        Stamp 1

        You will receive a Stamp 1 in your passport if you have been given the permission to work or operate a business in Ireland. Generally speaking, if you hold general employment permits, you will get a Stamp 1 in your passport when you enter the country.

        It is illegal to work in any business, trade or profession if you do not hold a general employment permits, unless it is specified in a permission letter from the Department of Justice and Equality.

        You will receive Stamp 1 in your passport if you have permission to:

        • Work in Ireland based on an employment permit
        • Operate a business in Ireland
        • Work here based on a Working Holiday Authorisation

        Stamp 1A

        The Stamp 1A indicates that you have been offered a full-time paid accountancy training position in Ireland for a specified period of time.

        Stamp 1G

        Your passport will be stamped with Stamp 1G if you have finished your studies in Ireland and have been given permission to search for work under the Third Level Graduate Programme.

        Under this stamp, you are permitted to work full time in Ireland. However, you cannot operate a business or be self-employed under Stamp 1G.

        Stamp 1G could also indicate that you are a spouse/de facto partner of a Critical Skills Employment Permit holder or a spouse/de facto partner of Researchers in the State on Housing Agreements.

        Those who fall under this particular category will be permitted to work in Ireland without needing to obtain a work permit, though they will not be eligible to operate a business or be self-employed.

        Stamp 2

        This stamp indicates that you have the correct immigration permission to study full time on a course which is on the official Interim List of Eligible Programmes (ILEP) for a specified period.

        Under this stamp, you cannot use public services in Ireland or receive any benefits, unless you have an entitlement via other means.

        You will be eligible to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week during the school term, and up to 40 hours per week during holidays.

        You will receive a Stamp 2 in your passport if you have been given permission to study:

        • An English language course for more than 90 days
        • Higher national diploma
        • Degree (undergraduate)
        • Master’s degree (postgraduate)
        • PhD

        Stamp 2A

        Stamp 2A is similar to the aforementioned Stamp 2. It indicates permission to study a full-time course which is not on the ILEP for a specified period of time. Under Stamp 2A, you cannot work or engage in any business activity during your time in Ireland.

        This stamp is given to those who are spending a semester studying at an Irish university or college, or someone who is studying at a private secondary school in Ireland.

        Stamp 3

        Stamp 3 indicates that you have permission to stay in Ireland for a specified period of time. This stamp counts as reckonable residence towards naturalisation. Under Stamp 3, you cannot work or engage in any business, trade or profession.

        Stamp 3 will be given to:

        • Volunteers
        • Ministers of religion
        • Those who are joining their non-EEA/EU/Swiss spouse or civil partner or family member who is living in Ireland under a form of work permit

        Stamp 4

        Stamp 4 also indicates that you have permission to stay in Ireland for a certain period of time, and it also counts as reckonable residence towards naturalisation. Stamp 4 gives you the permission to work in Ireland without the need to hold employment permission. There are also no restrictions on establishing and operating a business in Ireland under Stamp 4.

        This stamp could be issued if an applicant holds a valid Critical Skills employment permits for 2 years or valid employment permission for at least 5 years. You could also receive it if you have worked as a researcher in Ireland for at least 2 years.

        You will be issued with Stamp 4 if you have been granted permission to join:

        • Your spouse, civil partner or de-facto partner
        • Your EU/EEA or Swiss family member based on EU Treaty Rights
        • Your child who is an Irish citizen
        • A family member who has been given immigration permission based on Stamp 4
        • A family member who is a recognised refugee, or has been granted with subsidiary protection

        It could also be given in the following circumstances:

        • To someone who has been legally resident in Ireland for a minimum of five years
        • To those who have been living in Ireland under the Immigrant Investor Programme or Start Up Entrepreneur Programme
        • To those living in Ireland as a convention or programme refugee, or based on subsidiary protection

        Stamp 5

        This stamp indicates that you have the appropriate immigration permission to stay in Ireland without any time limits on your residency. Essentially, those with Stamp 5 in their passport are holders of a form of permanent Irish residence.

        Sometimes known as the Without Condition As To Time stamp, Stamp 5 could be given to those who have been living lawfully in Ireland for eight years.

        Stamp 6

        Stamp 6 is reserved solely for those who have become Irish citizens, but hold dual citizenship.

        If you are unsure about the most appropriate option for you, contact an IAS immigration lawyer for expert advice and help with your circumstances.

        We're here to help. You can call us, email us, visit one of our multiple offices or speak to us via Live Chat! Learn more

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Related pages for your continued reading.

          Frequently Asked Questions

          It is not a legal requirement to employ an immigration lawyer when completing a visa/immigration application. However, if you want to give yourself the best possible chance of achieving the outcome you are looking for, it is highly advised that you employ the services of an immigration consultant first, especially if you are not dealing with appeals and such. Our immigration consultants are knowledgeable in all aspects of Irish immigration law and will provide personalised advice and help you apply and liaise with Irish immigration authorities on your behalf. If need be, we will connect you will a skilled immigration lawyer as well.

          Here at the Immigration Advice Service, our lawyers and consultants are trained to the highest standards and are experienced in all areas of Irish immigration law. We are confident that we will deliver the results you are looking for.

          For immediate expert help on any immigration issue, please do not hesitate to contact us on (+353) 061 518 025.

          You won’t be subject to any immigration controls in Ireland as a UK citizen, regardless of whether you are visiting Ireland, or wish to reside here for an extended period of time. UK citizens are not subject to the Aliens Act 1935, which means they do not need any form of residence or employment permit to live in Ireland.

          Generally speaking, UK nationals can freely use public services in Ireland, and are entitled to the same rights as Irish citizens in this regard. Also, UK nationals are able to vote in local, national and European elections, though they cannot vote in presidential elections.

          Since the UK left the EU on 31st December 2020 (Brexit), there have been no major changes to the Common Travel Area and the rights of UK and Irish citizens to move freely between countries.

          Speak to a qualified immigration consultant if you need advice with your personal immigration circumstances.

          Yes, you will need to apply for a visa in this situation. If you are the spouse of your partner in Ireland, or if you are in a de facto relationship or civil partnership with them, you can apply for the Join Family Member Visa.

          If your partner has been in Ireland for more than three months, they must be engaged in economic activity, or be enrolled as a student or vocational trainee in order for you to be able to join them on the basis of being the partner of the EEA/EU/Swiss citizen.

          Every visa application is unique, with different sets of requirements and varying processing times. In addition to this, the documents which need to be provided in the application will differ depending on the particular circumstances of the applicant. For these reasons, unfortunately, we cannot give a definitive answer to this question.

          It is also worth noting that the visa processing times of the Irish Visa Office need to be taken into consideration. Ordinarily, the Irish Visa Office will process a visa application within 8 weeks of it being received.

          If you are approved, you can travel to Ireland. Depending on the permit/visa you have received, you may be required to register your residency permit with The Garda National Immigration Bureau. Those who are only going to visit Ireland (visitor visas) may not need to do this.

          There are different routes which can lead to Irish citizenship. If you have been lawfully living in Ireland for five years, you will be eligible to apply for Irish citizenship. This applies to anyone who has lived in Ireland for five years, regardless of their original country of citizenship.

          One of the most common methods of obtaining citizenship is through the route of descent or Irish ancestry. If one of your parents was born in Ireland and was an Irish citizen when you were born, or if you have an Irish grandparent, you will be eligible for Irish citizenship through descent.

          It is possible to obtain Irish citizenship through marriage too. If you have been married to an Irish citizen for at least three years, and have also lived in Ireland for at least three years, you will be eligible for Irish citizenship through marriage.

          There are also routes towards Irish citizenship for refugees and those under humanitarian protection.

          Bear in mind that there are certain conditions and requirements which need to be met regardless of the route towards citizenship.

          It may be valuable for you to work with a specialist Irish immigration lawyer who can give you expert advice on your case. We have helped many of our clients with their applications to become Irish citizens.

          If you are a citizen from an EU/EEA country or from Switzerland you do not need to apply for a visa to study in Ireland. Ireland is a part of the European Single Market, which is an arrangement enabling free movement of people within these areas.

          However, if you are from a non-EEA country, you will need to apply for a Tourist Visa or a Study Visa to study in Ireland, depending on the length of your course. Your course must be a full-time one in order to be eligible to receive a tourist/ study visa.

          If you are looking to study a course for less than three months, you will need to apply for a Category ‘C’ Tourist Visa. If the course is for more than three months, you need to apply for a Category ‘D’ Study Visa.

          Your passport will be stamped if you enter into Ireland through the category ‘D’ study visa route.

          If your course is recognised on the Interim List of Eligible Programmes (ILEP), you will receive Stamp 2 in your passport when you enter the country. With this stamp, you are entitled to work for up to 20 hours per week during term time and up to 40 hours per week outside of term time.

          If your course is not a recognised one on the ILEP, your passport will be stamped with Stamp 2A when you enter Ireland. Under the rules of this stamp, you cannot enter into any employment or engage in any business or profession whilst in Ireland.

          British citizens who are married to Irish citizens may apply for citizenship through marriage and if this is approved, they can apply for an Irish passport. To be eligible, you must meet the Irish passport requirements, which include having been issued a certificate of naturalisation and attended your citizenship ceremony.

          This also applies to individuals of other countries who are legal spouses of Irish citizens (marriage or civil partnership).

          If you are looking for immigration lawyers in Dublin, look no further than the Immigration Advice Service.

          We are a firm of immigration consultants and lawyers in Dublin, offering tailored consultation packages to help you with your goals.

          For an immediate discussion with an Irish immigration expert in Dublin, call us today to find out how we can assist you.