Immigration Advice Service
+353 061 518 025 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

Find our Ireland Office


We are Ireland's leading immigration specialists
Accredited Irish immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Moving to Australia from Ireland

If you are considering emigrating to Australia from Ireland, IAS’ immigration consultants can offer you expert advice and assistance. 

Contact the Immigration Advice Service on (+353) 061 518 025 to find out how we can help you with the emigration process. 

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Emigrate to Australia

    Between 2018-2019, there was a surge in numbers of those leaving Ireland for Australia, increasing by 2,000 to 6,500.

    Australia has become a popular destination for those looking to emigrate, not least because of its vibrant, diverse natural landscapes and beautiful weather. Whether golden beaches or the desert outback, Australia has so much to offer.

    Emigrating to Australia can be a lengthy process – it can take as long as 12 months to obtain a permanent visa – therefore it is advised that you allow yourself plenty of time for your application to be assessed.

    Our immigration experts in Ireland are equipped with the knowledge and experience to help with your emigration to Australia.

    Please call us on (+353) 061 518 025 to find out more.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Visas for Australia from Ireland

    If you are an Irish citizen and wish to move to Australia – whether you plan on studying, working, setting up a business, joining family or maybe even retiring – you must first obtain a visa to do so.

    The most common visa types for those emigrating from Ireland to Australia, including both temporary and permanent residence visas, are:

    Temporary Visas

    • A working holiday visa (417)
    • Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (482)
    • Student Visa (subclass 500)

    Permanent Visas

    • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (187)
    • Employer Nomination Scheme (186)
    • General Skilled Migration programme

    Am I eligible to move to Australia?

    There are a number of factors which will be considered to determine whether you are in fact eligible to move to Australia. These include your age, your occupation and skills, and your country of origin to name a few.

    Australia is renowned for being relatively strict with regards to immigration, meaning you must meet specific requirements and conditions to qualify. Despite its strict stance, the country remains one of the most popular destinations for migration, boasting one of the highest immigrant populations in the world.

    The criteria you must meet will differ depending on which visa you are applying for. Our immigration experts in Ireland can assist you with all visa types, whether temporary or permanent. To find out more about some of the most common immigration routes to living in Australia and the specific requirements you must meet, keep reading.

    For any other visa routes not explored on this page, our team of highly qualified, professional immigration experts are just a phone call away. Call IAS now on (+353) 061 518 025 to learn more.

    How do I apply for permanent residency in Australia?

    If you wish to move to Australia indefinitely, you must meet specific requirements in order to qualify and it is important to note that there are only a select few routes to gaining immediate permanent residency.

    Those who acquire a permanent resident visa will be able to:

    • Access Medicare (Australia’s healthcare scheme)
    • Apply for Australian citizenship if eligible
    • Sponsor qualifying family members for permanent residence
    • Reside in Australia without time restrictions

    Permanent residency is most commonly offered to those who would fill skill shortages within the country or meet economic needs.

    To apply, you must firstly submit an expression of interest online via SkillSelect on the Department of Home Affairs website; our immigration lawyers in Ireland can assist with this process.

    From there, if you meet the relevant criteria, you will be invited to make a formal visa application where you will then be asked if you are willing to live and work in regional Australia.

    Those who answer yes to this question are more likely to be successful if employers are currently experiencing skill shortages in specific areas.

    The list of eligible skilled occupations currently has over 400 occupations listed.

    Each state or territory has its own separate list with additional occupations in demand, meaning you may find your occupation on one of these lists instead.

    Skilled workers are often required to take a skills assessment to ensure their qualifications are accredited, this assessment usually costs around A$500.

    Other routes to permanent residency in Australia include:

    • Family-stream visas
    • Business or investment-stream visas
    • Retirement visa pathway
    • Former Resident visa
    • Distinguished Talent visas
    • Refugee and humanitarian visas

    What are the requirements for permanent resident visas?

    Permanent resident visas are typically points-based meaning you must pass an English language test, have a specific amount of work experience in an occupation listed on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List and meet the age requirements depending on which visa route you undertake. Some of the key requirements are as follows –

    Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (187): 

    • You must be nominated by an Australian employer whose occupation is on the skills shortage list for a particular state or territory in regional Australia
    • You must be under the age of 45 years old

    Skilled Nominated visa:

    • You must be nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency
    • You must score at least 65 points via the Australian government’s points test to be eligible
    • You must be under 45 years of age

    Employer Nomination Scheme (186):

    • You must be a highly skilled worker who has been nominated by an approved Australian employer
    • You must be under 45 years of age

    Skilled Independent visa:

    • ​You must be a skilled worker, or
    • You must be a New Zealand citizen holding a Special category visa (subclass 444) and must have been residing in Australia for the last 5 years

    Skilled regional visa:

    • You must have lived and worked in specified areas of regional Australia on a previous, relevant visa
    • You must hold a subclass 489, 495, 496, 475 or 487, or a Bridging visa A or B after applying for a subclass 489, 495 or 487 visa

    Distinguished Talent visa:

    • You must be internationally recognised as having a record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in an eligible field
    • You must have been prominent within your field for the past 2 years
    • You must be nominated by an Australian citizen or permanent resident, an eligible New Zealand citizen, or an Australian organisation with a national reputation in your field

    The IAS is here if you need any help with the emigration process Contact us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Who is eligible to apply for a Family-stream permanent resident visa?

      To apply for permanent residency in Australia via the family-stream immigration route, you must meet certain requirements to be eligible.

      Those who may apply via this route must be:

      • Either the partner, child, parent or dependent relative of an Australian citizen/ permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, or
      • A child who is in the process of being adopted outside of Australia, or
      • A carer who needs to move to Australia to provide long-term care for an approved relative

      The visa you apply for depends upon your personal circumstances and which family member you wish to join in Australia.

      Some of the most common visas include:

      • Prospective Marriage visa; allowing you to come to Australia to marry your prospective spouse (who is an Australian citizen/permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen)
      • Partner visa; for those already married
      • Parent visa; allow the parent of an Australian citizen/permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen move to Australia
      • Aged Dependent Relative visa; allowing a single older person, relying on a relative living in Australia for financial support, to move to Australia permanently (must be old enough for an aged pension in Australia)
      • Carer visa; to provide care to someone with a long-term medical condition
      • Remaining Relative visa; allows individuals to move to Australia to be with their only close family members

      If you require professional guidance with your Family-stream application, our immigration consultants in Ireland can assist.

      We can offer practical assistance and expert advice, the same as any immigration lawyer. Call IAS on (+353) 061 518 025.

      How to sponsor a family member to move to Australia permanently

      For a family member to move to Australia permanently via the Family-stream Migration Program, they must be sponsored by their relative who is an Australian citizen/permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

      Those applying for permanent residency under the Family-stream are not required to take a skills test or meet the English language requirement – unlike those applying under the Skill stream – however applicants must meet the necessary health and character requirements.

      Family members able to apply via the Family-stream route are:

      • Partners – which includes spouses, de facto partners and fiancés
      • Children – including the dependent child or step-child of the sponsor, a child adopted from overseas, and orphan relatives
      • Parents
      • Other family members – such as aged dependent relative, remaining relative and carer categories

      Both sponsors and their family members who are applying via the Family-stream Migration Program must meet the Australian government ‘character requirement’.

      The character requirement ensures that sponsors and their relatives are of good character. You may not meet this requirement if any of the following apply:

      • You have a substantial criminal record/have been involved in serious crimes
      • You have been convicted of escaping from immigration detention or for a crime committed while in immigration detention
      • You are or have been a member of a group or organisation that the Minister reasonably suspects of being involved in criminal conduct
      • There is a risk that while you are in Australia you would be a danger to the Australian community
      • You are subject to an adverse security assessment by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation or subject to an Interpol notice

      Get in touch with us now to discover more about the emigration process. Learn more

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Document Check Package icon

        Document Check Package

        Document checking service that ensures your documents are sufficient to prove your eligibility.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration experts will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Department of Justice & Equality on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our team and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package

              The Document Check Package

              Our Document Checking Package is a service for those who need to submit their application but choose to do so on their own but want help with ensuring their documents are in line with the requirements for the visa. Our immigration consultants will check your documents in this case.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Document Check Package More information

                Frequently Asked Questions

                There are several immigration routes available to those who wish to live in Australia on a temporary basis.

                Some of the most popular routes are:

                Working Holiday Visa: This is ideal for those aged 18- to 30-year-old who wish to study, travel and work for up to one year. This visa can be extended by one year by working for three months in a regional or rural area

                Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (482): This visa allows employers to source overseas workers to address temporary skill shortages in the country and is available both as a short-term (one to two years) or medium-term (up to four years) option. You must however meet the criteria and be sponsored by an employer before you apply.

                Student Visa (subclass 500): This visa allows full-time students to work 40 hours per fortnight; the number of Irish granted student visas tripled from 217 in 2007/08 to 703 in 2013/14 reflecting its growing popularity for those who wish to stay in Australia.

                If you would like to move to Australia for a limited amount of time, our immigration experts in Ireland can provide expert, legal guidance.

                Call IAS on (+353) 061 518 025.


                The Immigration Advice Service’s team of dedicated immigration consultants are equipped with extensive experience and knowledge involving the process of emigrating to Australia.

                To take the first step of your journey, contact our client care team who will arrange a consultation with one of our immigration experts.

                We know that emigrating can be both a time-consuming and stressful experience, however our immigration lawyers can take away a significant amount of such pressure by helping you to acquire the relevant visas and permission you need to get you on your way.

                Call us now on (+353) 061 518 025. to find out how we can help you emigrate to Australia.