Immigration Advice Service
+353 061 518 025 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

Find our Ireland Office


We are Ireland's leading immigration specialists
Accredited Irish immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Moving to Canada from Ireland

If you need any assistance with the process of moving to Canada, our team of dedicated Irish immigration specialists are here to help you.

Contact the Immigration Advice Service on (+353) 061 518 025 to find out more about the process of emigrating from Ireland to Canada.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Emigrate to Canada

    Canada is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, offering a fantastic way of life. The second largest country in the world is one of huge variety, offering bustling cosmopolitan cities such as Toronto along with wild landscapes found in the likes of Alberta. Many Irish citizens will find comfort in the friendly, laid-back Canadian way of life.

    However, Canada is a country with notoriously tough immigration rules. If you are looking to move to Canada, the Immigration Advice Service can provide guidance on how to emigrate from Ireland to Canada.

    Please call us now on (+353) 061 518 025 for more information.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Emigrate from Ireland to Canada

    For many, the prospect of living in Canada is a lifelong dream, and it is easy to see why. Beautiful landscapes, cosmopolitan cities, high-paying jobs and an excellent quality of life are just some of the benefits which Canada offers.

    Some may wish to emigrate to Canada to join with family members, or to return to the wonderful country which they experienced in their youth. Perhaps you have received a job offer or wish to operate a business in the country.

    The route through which you can emigrate to Canada depends on your individual circumstances.

    Typically, if you are classed as a ‘skilled person’, you will be able to apply for ‘Express Entry’ which is the most favourable immigration route for foreign nationals emigrating to Canada. The Express Entry will be the main focus of this article.

    How do I Emigrate Through the Express Entry?

    If you are classed as a ‘skilled worker’, you will be offered a quicker route to emigrate to Ireland – the Express Entry.

    The Canadian government choose skilled workers based on their skills and ability to contribute to the Canadian economy.

    There are three economic immigration programmes under the Express Entry route:

    • Federal Skilled Worker Program
    • Federal Skilled Trades Program
    • Canadian Experience Class

    The National Occupation Classification (NOC) is a list of all the occupations in the Canadian labour market, categorised according to skill type and skill level.

    What is the National Occupation Classification (NOC)?

    The National Occupation Classification is a system which is used to categorise different types of jobs.

    The main job groups are as follows:

    • Skill Type (0): Management jobs such as restaurant managers, shore captains and mine managers
    • Skill Level A: Professional jobs which usually call for a degree from a university such as doctors, dentists, architects, IT professionals
    • Skill Level B: Technical jobs and skilled trades which usually call for a college diploma or training as an apprentice such as plumbers, chefs and electricians
    • Skill Level C: Intermediate jobs which usually call for high school and/or job-specific training such as long-haul truck drivers, food and beverage servers and industrial butchers
    • Skill Level D: Labour jobs which usually give on-job training such as cleaning staff, fruit pickers and oil-field workers


    General Express Entry Requirements

    To prove that you are eligible for Express Entry, you will need to provide certain information.

    Due to the fact that it may take some time to gather certain information, it is recommended that you begin the process of collating the information before you begin the official profile.

    You may need to provide information from the following documents:

    • Passport or travel document
    • English/French language test results (if applicable)
    • Educational credential assessment report
    • Provincial nomination
    • Written job offer from employer in Canada

    As alluded to above, you will need to prove your level of English/French ability if you are not a native speaker of either language. The level which you need to pass depends on the Express Entry route through which you are applying. More details about this can be found in the FAQs.


    The IAS is here if you need any help with the emigration process Contact us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      What is the Express Entry Profile?

      The Express Entry profile is an online system where you give information about yourself.

      Canadian immigration officials will consider the profile and if they deem you to be eligible for the Express Entry, you will be accepted into the pool of candidates.

      You will be ranked in the Express Entry pool using the points-based system, and your score will be based on the information provided in your profile.

      Invitations to make permanent residence applications are given to the candidates with the highest scores in the pool. When you receive your invitation, the first step is to complete the online application form.

      It is important to note that you must submit a permanent residence application within 60 days of your invitation.

      Documents and Cost

      Once you have received the invitation, you will need to upload certain documents to your profile. The online system will provide a personalised document checklist once you’ve fully completed the application form.

      Any documents which are not in English or French must be translated. Both the translation and a certified photocopy of the original document must be uploaded.

      The next step in the application process is to pay the permanent residence application fee. Once you have completed the online application form and uploaded your documents, you will be notified of the fees you need to pay.

      The fees for a permanent residence application are as follows (all in Canadian dollars)

      • Application: $1,325
      • Application without permanent residence fee: $825
      • Include spouse/partner: $1,325
      • Include spouse/partner without permanent residence: 825
      • Dependent child: $225

      When will I Receive a Decision?

      Once you have submitted your application, Canadian immigration officials will assess it to ensure you meet the eligibility criteria and that you have submitted all necessary documents.

      You will be contacted through your online account explaining what the next steps in the process are. At this stage, you will need to provide your biometric information (fingerprints and photo) and you will be notified of where you need to go to provide this information.

      You may be asked at this stage to provide additional documentation or to attend an interview if immigration officials deem it to be necessary.

      In most circumstances, a decision will be reached on your application within six months. You will be kept updated throughout.

      Can Direct Family Members Join Me in Canada?

      Yes, certain relatives can come to live, study and work in Canada with you if you are a permanent resident in Canada and are at least 18-years-old.

      You must pay a fee if you wish to sponsor a relative, and there are a number of requirements which you must fulfil as the sponsor, including having the financial means to support yourself and your family member.

      Ordinarily, you will be able to sponsor the following relatives:

      • Spouse/partner
      • Dependent child
      • Parents of you
      • Grandparents of you

      Get in touch with us now to discover more about the emigration process. Learn more

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        What are the Other Routes Towards Permanent Residence in Canada?

        As mentioned above, there are a number of other routes which can lead to permanent residency in Canada.

        • Provincial nominees. This is an option if you have been nominated by a Canadian province or territory
        • Atlantic Immigration Pilot. This is a pathway to permanent residence for skilled foreign workers and international graduates who want to work and live in one of Canada’s four Atlantic Provinces: Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia or New Brunswick
        • Start-up visa. This is for entrepreneurs who wish to start their own business in Canada. You must have a qualifying business, a letter of support from a designated organisation, meet the language requirements and have enough money to settle in Canada
        • Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot. This is a community-drive program designed to spread the benefits of economic immigration to smaller communities. It is for skilled workers who wish to work and live in one of the participating communities
        • Quebec-selected skilled workers. This is for those who hold a Quebec Selection Certificate from the Government of Quebec and wish to become permanent residents of Quebec
        • The Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot scheme enables those who qualify to become permanent residents in Canada
        • Self-employed Persons Program. This scheme enables people to emigrate to Canada permanently as a self-employed person. To be eligible, the applicant must have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics and be willing to make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada
        • Agri-Food Pilot. This scheme is a pathway to permanent residence for experienced, non-seasonal workers in specific industries and occupations. This scheme is running until May 2023

        What is the International Experience Canada Scheme?

        International Experience Canada is a special working holiday program for young people in a select group of countries.

        Citizens of Ireland are eligible for the International Experience Canada program. You can participate in the program once, and it lasts for up to 24 months.

        There are three different options within the working holiday program:

        • Working Holiday. This is for those who do not have a job offer yet, want to work for more than one employer in Canada and want to work in more than one location
        • Young Professionals. You can apply for this scheme if you have a job offer in Canada that contributes to your professional development and will work in the same location and for the same employer in Canada
        • International Co-op Internship. This is for those who wish to get overseas work experience related to their field of study

        To be eligible for the scheme, you must:

        • Be an Irish citizen
        • Have a valid Irish passport for the duration of your stay in Canada
        • Between the ages of 18 and 35 (inclusive)
        • Not be inadmissible to Canada
        • Have a minimum of $2,500 Canadian dollars to help cover expenses in Canada
        • Paid all application fees
        • Have health insurance for the duration of your stay in Canada
        • Have a round-trip ticket or can demonstrate that you have the financial resources to purchase a departure ticket at the end of your stay in Canada
        • Not be accompanied by dependents
        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Document Check Package icon

        Document Check Package

        Document checking service that ensures your documents are sufficient to prove your eligibility.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration experts will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Department of Justice & Equality on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our team and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package

              The Document Check Package

              Our Document Checking Package is a service for those who need to submit their application but choose to do so on their own but want help with ensuring their documents are in line with the requirements for the visa. Our immigration consultants will check your documents in this case.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Document Check Package More information

                Frequently Asked Questions

                Criteria Federal Skilled Worker Program Federal Skilled Trades Program Canadian Experience Class
                Language skills English or French to CLB 7 standard English or French to CLB 5 standard for speaking and listening and CL4 for reading and writing English or French to CLB 7 standard if your NOC is in 0 or A category, or CLB 5 standard if your NOC is in B category
                Level of work experience Canadian or foreign work experience in one of the following NOCs: 0, A or B Canadian or foreign experience in a skilled trade under key groups of NOC B Canadian experience in 1 of these NOCs: 0, A, B
                Amount of work experience One-year continuous work experience within the last 10 years. Can be combination of part-time, full-time or more than one job Two years within the last 5 years (either combination or full-time or part-time work) One year in Canada in the last 3 years (either combination of full-time or part-time work)
                Job offer? Not required, but more selection criteria points awarded for having valid job offer Valid job offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least 1 year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority


                Not required
                Education Secondary education required. More selection criteria points awarded for higher education Not required Not required

                In certain circumstances, you can also sponsor an orphaned brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchild in the following circumstances:

                • They are related to you by blood or adoption
                • Their mother and father have passed away
                • They are under 18 years of age
                • They are single (not married or in a common-law or conjugal relationship)

                If you have not sponsored any relatives who would fall into the aforementioned categories, you can sponsor one relative of any age related to you by blood or adoption. Also, you must not have any other relative is a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or registered Indian under the Indian Act.

                Irish citizens will need to apply for an eTA visa if they want to visit Canada for a short period of time for the purposes of general tourism, transit, business or medical purposes.

                You will need to complete the electronic visa application before boarding an aircraft to Canada. We recommend that you complete the eTA visa application no later than 72 hours prior to boarding the aircraft.

                The Immigration Advice Service have in-depth knowledge of the process involved in emigrating to Canada. If you want to make Canada your new home, you want to be sure that you will not run into any problems with your application.

                We will provide you with all the information and guidance you need to move to Canada and make your dreams a reality.

                Call us now on (+353) 061 518 025. to find out how we can help you emigrate to Canada.